Sunday, May 22, 2016

A642.1.4.RB_DellElceCamila

A642.1.4.RB – Your Creative Genius

            As described by Masaru Ibuka, the founder of Sony, “Creativity comes from looking for the unexpected and stepping outside of your own experience” (McKeown, 2014, p. 321). Assessing one self’s talents is not an easy task. I never thought of such talents before, much less had the opportunity to categorize them. However, this program is made to get students and future leaders out of their comfort zone and to think outside the box. By doing so it allows us to be the innovators and leaders we all aspire to be. It has been shown that creativity does have its benefits. “Creativity has clear benefits for individuals and society as a whole” (Runco, 2004). These benefits are constantly researched and while I cannot speak for everyone, I know creativity does help me cope with everyday stressors.

            One creative talent that I developed ever since I was probably seven years old was writing. I used to write long stories out of my imagination. Now, still enjoy writing and do so, when I am down or simply in the mood to be creative. As many people may have experienced, my upbringing was nothing close to perfect. I struggled as a young kid and teenager with life’s difficulties but writing become my way out to express what I need to let out and to distract myself. I had all of these thoughts in my head and once I wrote them down, I felt as if a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Thankfully, this has come in handy when it comes to this program, as writing is a must and like to know that everything time I write something, my writing skills are only getting better. Nevertheless, it was a bit challenging to become good at it, when it come to writing in English, as a second language.

            Another talent that was discovered by my managers is my tendency to lead rather than following others. By no means, I am trying to imply that I do not follow orders or that I am bossy with my coworkers. However, I have always encounter moments where my proactivity and leadership response were tested without me noticing. In the past three years, I have been able to demonstrate my capacity as a leader and taking this degree has only improved my skills. Little by little, I learn to deal with the day-to-day organizational troubles. I understand people and often times, I am able to deliver a message without risking others feeling underappreciated. I make use of my leadership talent to emphasize the importance of teamwork in any organization. Usually, I encounter younger crowds who are no happy to be where they work, and the environment is compromised. Nevertheless, instead of getting them in trouble, I try teaching them to always give their one hundred percent in everything they do because that is when they will receive compliments and people around them will begin to recognize their hard work.
            Moreover, I like to believe that being humble is another of my qualities. No matter what position I have had, what status I come from, or who is next to me; I have always treated everyone with respect and dignity. For instance, in one of my previous jobs, I was in charge of a group who every night had to pick up the parking lot trash. Yet, every night I was there helping with the trash. Very unlike other coworkers that held the same position, they would all ask me why would I do it, when I had them to do it. And my response has always been the same, you teach others by example. If a leader is capable of completing the same tasks, as his followers, then the followers will always do a great job.

            Believe it or not, another quality I have is being able to work under stress. I find that I work better when chaos is involved. I feel the need to constantly be multi tasking and that is why the medical field is such a great match for my personality. I use this quality to ensure my team is always well assessed and I deal with a numerous of tasks, as my subordinates have a much easier time. I guess in a way, I am constantly seeking to protect my teammates from getting burned out, stressing, or getting frustrated.

            Lastly, I have a very positive outlook when I work. I do not let stress get to me or anything upset my day. Every day, I show up to work with a smile in my face, as I am happy to be there. This quality helps me into dealing with difficult patients and also, sometimes the doctors. Both parties can be really demanding and having the personality I presume, does really help into making others realize that frustrations can only go so far.  

            On the other hand, although these qualities are plenty to be happy about, I do find myself wishing to have other creative qualities that I do not possess. For once, I wish I had the ability understand learning material faster. If there is something I envy my husband, is that he does not require spending so many hours studying. He naturally understands everything and is able to take exams without comprising his grades. If I was granted this wish, I would definitely used it to expedite my progress in school and take more classes but unfortunately, I can only do a maximum of two classes per semester or overlap the classes. Or else, my grades suffer.

            Additionally, I wish I were more athletic. My parents never encourage me to play any sports while growing up and although, I did register for volleyball and basketball when I was about ten, I never pursued it more than just one year. As an adult, I now love running whenever possible but due to my lack of sports’ background, it is difficult to commit to it. I think that if I had been more athletic during my childhood, I now, would be running marathons and would have a healthier life style.

            Further more, one talent I wish I had was an artistic ability. I understand some people are simply extremely talented and lucky, while others can practice and become an artist. Me on the other hand, the more I practice the more frustrated I get. Typically I can pick up things rather easily but an artistic ability is not one of them. Instead of painting or drawing them, I now have to take pictures to capture all the beauty but even then, my non-artistic side does not do a good job at taking picture either. If I were to learn how to paint or draw, I feel this would help me while going through medical school, as most of the learning is done through sketches and drawings of the body’s anatomy. Like the saying goes, a picture is better than a thousand words.

            Last but not least, I wish I could play some sort of instruments. When I was a child, I took about two years of piano lessons; I was able to learn how to read notes and also played in a small school concert but everything takes practice. Soon after the first two years, I stopped playing and little by little I forgot how to play or read notes. This type of talents is a ways of relieving stressors and it is shameful, I never finished learning. If I was able to play some instrument, I would have probably become some kind of private professor to teach kids how to play.

References

McKeown, M. (2014). The innovation book: how to manage ideas and execution for outstanding results (Kindle). Pearson Education Limited. Kindle Edition.


Runco, M. A. (2004). CREATIVITY. Annual Review of Psychology, 55, 657-87. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/205848604?accountid=27203

No comments:

Post a Comment