Sunday, May 8, 2016

A641.2.3.RB_DellElceCamila

A641.2.3.RB – Am I a Resonant Leader?

            The characteristics of a resonant leader are easy to agree with and recognize as things that would help us perform better within our organizations and leaders. The difficult part is to consistently practice these qualities and incorporate them into our daily interactions with those that we work with. Whether we are the leader of a group or an active member that strives to instill positivity and inspire others to work alongside with us, being resonant is vital to maximize productivity, high moral, and trust. Nevertheless, Annie McKee, Richard Boyatzis, and Frances Johnston suggested that,

Fewer people understand how to lead: how to mobilize energy in people, teams, and other groups; how to inspire and motivate through hope, vision, meaning, and purpose; how to increase productivity while also releasing people’s talent, creativity, and resilience; how to build a resonant culture that calls for everyone’s best.
(2008, p. 11).

            There are some interesting the surprises I discovered about myself after reflecting on the question, “Am I a resonant leader?” While at work, I try to play a role in encouraging others to strive for their best and not get frustrated when facing the challenges of not achieving our desired goals every day. Most of the time, I step into with words of encouragement after there is a conflict with another coworker that results in tension and anger towards with each other. I now realize that true resonance is achieved when emotional and social intelligence is practiced regularly. So, what is emotional intelligence? This term “refers to a generic competence in perceiving emotions (both in oneself and in others). This competence also helps us to regulate emotions and cope effectively with emotive situations” (Zeidner, 2013, para. 1). In my case I am typically reactive and my encouragement is ineffective because I am trying to deal with people when they are in a high emotion filled with anger. To be more inspiring, I need to invest more personally and less reactively with others and reflect on their professional growth. By doing so, I think would be beneficial because the attention will be focused on success. Additionally, I should encourage others to be more forward thinking about how they can better tap into their potential. 

            Another surprise I recognized and I continue to focus on is how the emotions are so contagious. Negativity is a life sucker and destroys all motivation. I once had the same problem and my negativity pushed those I worked with away from me. Self-awareness is something that I focus on so that I can bring positivity to my division and those that I work with. I do not like when others’ negative perspectives hinder my day, so I remain aware of my emotions to not cause others to spiral down with me.

References

McKee, A., Boyatzis, R., & Johnston, F. (2008). Becoming a Resonant Leader. (8th ed.). Harvard Business Press.


Zeidner, M. (2013) "What We Know about Emotional Intelligence", Development and Learning in Organizations: An International Journal, Vol. 27 Iss: 3. Retrieved from http://www.emeraldinsight.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/doi/full/10.1108/dlo.2013.08127caa.002

No comments:

Post a Comment