Saturday, May 21, 2016

A641.4.3.RB_DellElceCamila

A641.4.3.RB – Tipping Points of Emotional Intelligence

            What does “tipping points,” mean and where does it come from in the context of emotional intelligence. Tipping points are linked to emotional intelligence competencies, as defined by Richard Boyatzis et. al. (1999). They explain how several “competencies” are clustered into groups, which conveniently align with the components of emotional intelligence. At the same time, they graphically show how the competencies work together to form a “best fit” scenario to help predict or define the best level of performance, though the combinations may change (Boyatzis et. al., 1999). Understanding how competencies cluster and how they can align or create misalignment is useful in finding the best fit for an individual leader or team.

            Consequently, there are multiple theories that seek to understand and examine how the dynamics of emotional intelligence work within an organization. Two other models that are used are the model of emotional quotient developed or The Bar-on Model of Emotional Intelligence by Reuven Bar-on in the mid-1990s and another that looks at how second order thoughts are relevant for “perceiving and regulating emotion,” using meta-cognitive processes (Fernandez-Berrocal & Extremera, 2006). Another way to describe the second model is emotional abilities. How a leader uses a set of skills that “contribute to the evaluation and expression of emotion,” which leads to “effective emotional regulation and motivation” setting up success in life (Vaida & Opre, 2014).

            Within most studies seen to this point, those who possess a higher level of emotional intelligence tend to have “more adaptive and positive outcomes in their job” (Fernandez-Berrocal & Extremera, 2006). At the same time, when thinking about EQ competencies, studies show that clusters related to self-regulation tend to delivery greater levels of performance (Boyatzis et. al., 1999). However, when appropriately combing the different competencies across the different clusters, that is when the “best fit” can be achieved. Leaders need to also understand that sometimes, while competencies may work together to deliver better results, they can work against each other, leading to lower performance (Boyatzis et. al., 1999). 

            In different occasions, I have struggled to delegate duties to others while working. As a leader, it is important to learn to trust your team and their skills to deliver the appropriate expected results. However, my leadership skills have been tested and I have reached tipping points. A good situation happened last year working as the senior medical assistant, my role is pretty much being a leader for my team. As I expressed in my previous reflection blogs, my job has high turn-over levels, and most of the times we are short in staff or handling an enormous amount of patients and work with one or two senior medical assistants and new hires. Having new assistants can be a good thing, and it can also be very stressful and demanding. While training two new ladies and having nobody else to help me, I felt as if I needed to take over most of the duties. I gave the new hires little to do, or whatever I thought they could handle. As time went by, I never gained the trust to delegate more work to them, and I found myself stressing over doing way too much work. I was working over time, leaving my job late, and in top of that, I was also completing my Leadership degree online. I was exhausted and my performance was been comprised at work and at school.

            At that point, I reached my tipping point. One night, I got home like around nine and had worked over twelve hours; I ate; brush my teeth, and got in bed. Though lying in my bed, I started to evaluate what was going on with myself. Soon, I came to the realization that I was doing everything wrong. I was not being a good leader because I was not teaching or training the new hires more information. They were unable to help me because I was not letting them. It was easier to get the job done myself, than having to fixed later if they were to make a mistake. At least, that was my mentality then. Immediately, I got up and started to list all my duties, and distributed them evenly between the new girls and myself. The very next morning, I met with both of them and told them how the new duties were going to be delegated to each of them and that they were responsible for keeping up with their new duties.

            Obviously, the next few weeks, we spent a significant amount of training. After about three weeks, the new medical assistants were more than capable of completing their work. Although, it was not easy to fully trust their work, I was able to relieve myself from so many frustrations and over workload. I have to say, I still struggle delegating the work, but I have come to terms and understand the importance of doing so. Negating others the opportunity to be trusted at work can shortly kill any organization’s morale. Building a good team is about challenge, trust, and honesty. If I could have a redo, I would have done it sooner and avoided so many headaches. In the end, the new hires were happy to be challenged and given new responsibilities. So, it was not difficult to implement the new duties distribution.

References

Boyatzis, R., Goleman, D., & Rhee, K. (1999). Clustering Competence In Emotional Intelligence: Insights From The Emotion Competence Inventory. Retrieved from Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations: http://www.eiconsortium.org/pdf/eci_acticle.pdf

Fernandez-Berrocal, P., & Extremera, N. (2006). Special Issue on Emotional Intelligence: An Overview. Psicothema, Vol 18, Supt., 1-6.


Vaida, S., & Opre, A. (2014). Emotional Intelligence Versus Emotional Competence. Journal of Psychological and Educational Research, 26-33.

No comments:

Post a Comment