Sunday, May 15, 2016

A641.3.3.RB_DellElceCamila

A641.3.3.RB – Working with EI: Getting Results!

            Daniel Goleman (2012) identifies four key areas of Emotional Intelligence (EI) that when valued and placed into practice can differential someone as being a subpar leader from a leader that is exceptional. These four areas are self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and social skills. Goleman (2007) also discusses compassion and cites a well-known study at Princeton Theological Seminar that followed seminarians under some stress and time pressure as they walked by a man in distress.  It turns out that what distinguished those who stopped and did not stop was how preoccupied they were with their task at hand.

            Self-awareness is the skill of being conscious of one’s emotions and feelings and being able to use them as a guide of how we interact and behave (Goldman, 2012). I sometimes have issues with this skill because I am an introvert. For the longest time I have kept a lot of my emotions to myself not sharing them with others because of trust issues. When it comes to my profession, it is hard to find people that you can trust completely without worry of them throwing your name into the rumor mill. Although I am aware of how I am feeling, I neglect to use them as a guide on managing them when dealing with others. A negative result is that I often realize that I could have handled certain situations in a better manner after the fact.

            When dealing with self-management, I allow my emotions to get the best of me sometimes. Closely tied to self-awareness, I reflect of how I manage my emotions and reactions and evaluate if there was a better way of dealing with a situation or personal interaction. When I do this, I fail to recognize these emotions as they emerge, and manage them prior to the interaction or facing a challenge. Resulting in a reactionary position that creates an emotion of disappointment because I realized, after the fact, I could have performed better. 

            Self-awareness and self-management are especially important with my profession because as a future doctor and current medical assistant, I deal with a significant amount of people; whether they patients, doctors, coworkers at any level, my reactions and no reactions affect everyone that surrounds me. I need to be better aware of and manage my emotions on a consistent basis, since high stress and confrontation only creates more complication in the work environment. Handling situations in nonproductive way will more often than not reflect poorly on my performance and create a bad public reputation of myself.

            The third and fourth skills, social awareness and social skills—are highly driven with empathy. Empathy is being compassionate and having the genuine care for understanding emotions that others are feeling and addressing them in a constructive manner. Oddly, I am better at interacting with others at this level. As a leader, it is important for me to ensure my subordinates are doing well, happy with the environment they are in, and have an outlet to deal with the stress they encounter on a daily basis. I believe relationship building really takes place with the third and fourth skill sets. At these levels is when I think support, rapport, and trust and built are imminent. By humanizing the interaction with those I work with, and not treating them as expendable people, is the key to honest interpersonal relationship building. 

            As Goleman (2012) said, emotional intelligence is something that we continuously learn, as long as we apply it and build upon our application of it. Slowly, I am learning that to open up myself more, I need to demonstrate my empathy towards others. Reciprocity is another key element to relationship building. It is my opinion that building emotional intelligence happens with "share and receive" interactions with others.                  

References

Goleman, D. (2007). Why aren’t we more compassionate? TED. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_goleman_on_compassion

Daniel Goleman Introduces Emotional Intelligence. (2012). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7m9eNoB3NU



No comments:

Post a Comment