Sunday, November 15, 2015

A631.4.4.RB_DellElceCamila

A631.4.4.RB – INSEAD Reflection

           After reviewing the video, Middle Managers Linchpin to Dynamic Team Leadership (2008), some of the biggest benefits of self-managed teams are the developmental opportunities that the team members have with one another. They are expected to communicate effectively, develop relationships; delegate and plan work assignments, and operate seamlessly as a team. This experience allows them to develop one another and immerse themselves in learning opportunities that they would not get in other capacities. Moreover, being able to truly succeed and fail as a team, which promotes teamwork, learning, and relationship building is also a benefit. Self-managed teams may be closer than any other team based on the nature and scope of their work. They are “autonomous group whose members decide how to handle their task” (Brown, 2011, p. 349).

            On the other hand, having to diffuse problems and strategizing to remove obstacles within the team without the help of a manager, at least not on a regular basis could be considered a drawback. There are times when peers and teammates fail to come to a resolution and managers are necessary. Other drawbacks associated with self-managed teams are as follows:
  • ·      Self-managed teams may not be appropriate for the task, people or context.

  • ·      The organization does not perceive the need to change.

  • ·      Managers and leaders are vague and confused about their roles.

  • ·      Organizations fail to reward for performance.

  • ·      The lack of training can cause self-managed teams to fail.

  • ·      Lack of advancement opportunities.

  • ·      Complications in constructing a successful
            I believe it would be very enjoyable to work within a self-managed team as I respond well to autonomy afforded to me from leadership, and this is typical in self-managed teams. In addition, when it comes to being a medical assistant, brainstorming with teammates, sharing work assignments, and collaborating with my coworkers to solve problems is a routine. I do, however, think that the autonomy of self-managed teams is by far the most attractive benefit to me. If the relationships and teamwork were to be there, the need for a leader would not be necessary because the team would overcome any obstacle as a group.

            I feel that one of the main competencies I would need to develop to be the outside manager of a self-managed team is giving the team the autonomy to take on projects and tasks by themselves. I do not consider myself a micro-manager, but I do tend to get involved in certain processes of the teams’ assignment to make sure policy, quality, and quantity are been met. This is because I am naturally a curious and detail-oriented person who enjoys observing and interacting with others, so it would be hard for me to completely hand over all control of work to the team. Needless to say, I sometimes have a hard time trusting others into doing their work. At this time, I am not considered a manager, but I do have a leadership position, which I believe I am handling well, but like I always say, there is always room for improvement.

            To conclude, I have to say, I agree with Mr. Quy Huy, the INSEAD Professor of Strategy, as there is no “one size fits all approach to leadership.” We are all very different and in order to have a successful self-managed organization, we, the leaders, must start taking good detail observation into what works for whom. Some individuals are more self-directed, where other are in constant need of guidance.

References

Brown, D. R. (2011). An experiential approach to organization development (8th edition.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.


INSEAD. (2008, September 22). Self-managing teams: debunking the leadership paradox [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/GBnR00qgGgM

No comments:

Post a Comment