Sunday, November 8, 2015

A631.3.4.RB_DellElceCamila

A631.3.4.RB – Feedback and Goals

            It is understood that feedback and goals go hand-in-hand and depend on each other. Nevertheless, each on their own make little to no benefit to the individuals receiving it. In other words, “giving feedback on performance without having previously set goals does not lead to improved performance” (Brown, 2011, 321). Interestingly, Donald R. Brown (2011) also made suggestions about the existence of generational differences in the amount of feedback desired by employees. I have two hypothesis about Brown’s contention; the first one is why would the older generations prefer to have less feedback. I believe the reason is because before, employees used to have more work ethic and were more respectful to their superiors. Therefore, employees were more focused on doing and presenting good job through excellent performance. Hence, the older generations are not comfortable with being approached with constant feedback, as they may feel micro-managed.

            On the other hand, the Gen Y (those born after 1980), with time, they have gotten used to technology and having quick access to anything with short waiting time. With that in mind, our generation, and I say that because I come from this Gen Y, has grown to be less patient and demanding answers as time is at the essence. This generation wants to dominate the world, for lack of a better word, and feedback helps them achieve it. However, that does not mean that the previous generation is not any better. On the contrary, our generation lacks the tenacity and commitment that older generations used to come from. An old-fashion father raised me, and I can attest, working for an organization is nothing like it used to be before. Today, we conform ourselves with having a “feedback zone” where employees are advised of their performance via a survey. I am not sure about you, but I really appreciate the warmth of a voice telling me where I am failing and where I need to correct my performance.

            Needless to say, having monthly surveys is not all that bad of an idea. Unfortunately, I am not the kind of person that sees black or white, but sees all shapes of grays. Normally, people are only approached for feedback on their performance during the time they are about to receive an increase in salary according to how well they have done. So, imagine not having to wait until your employers call you in to let you know you are only getting have of a raise because you did not performed accordingly? The surveys would save people a significant loss in the long run. Anna M. Cianci, John M. Schaubroeck, and Gary A. McGill, suggested that, “the valence of competence feedback (negative vs. positive) has different effects on task performance and associated motivational antecedents depending on whether the individual is pursuing a performance goal in which competence is defined in absolute (or socially comparative) terms or a learning goal in which competence is defined in intrapersonal terms” (2010, para. 4).

            Working as a Podiatry Medical Assistant, you are constantly called in for feedback. Although I love the medicine world, and I aspire to be a doctor one day; I have learned that doctors are very demanding and also perfectionists. I do not believe is a bad skill but they do want their M.A. performing above average. Nonetheless, I do not minded, as I feel I learn more and in the end, my performance can be evaluated according to what they have thought me. One good example is, the doctors or manager at the practice I work for, check on everyone way of doing a foot cast, and then provide feedback on better ways to achieve better results. “Because leadership competence is so consequential, it is important to understand which behaviors are most strongly associated with leader effectiveness” (Zimmerman et. al., 2008, para. 2).

            With time, I have realized that since I do have specific goals I would like to achieve, such as going to Medical School and become a doctor; Doctors and the practice managers tend to provide more feedback and they are more rigorous with me to learn more. I am always being called into the room to listen to the doctors explain a disease to a patient or to be explained how to read an x-ray or ultrasound. Therefore, their feedbacks have definitely improved my overall performance to the fullest. These feedbacks have made me more confident and passionate about what I do. When patients have questions, the majority of the times I can accurately answer their questions without hesitation. I believe this has led me to demonstrate higher performance in my end and provided me with the benefits of having creditable sources and a reputation of being a quick learner. With that been said, the only drawback I can consider is the fact that doctors demand a lot more work from me but more work means job security and I feel completely comfortable with that.

            After reflecting about this topic, the implication is that feedback is an excellent source that could lead to success in an organization. Nevertheless, feedback on its own means nothing. First, you need to know if that person knows there is a specific goal set. Then, another point to take into consideration is how does the other person take feedback. Some take feedback as a great lesson and others will banished and take feedback as criticism. To conclude, feedback sound always be approached accordingly with the organization’s standards.

References

Brown, D. R. (2011). An experiential approach to organization development (8th edition.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.

Cianci, A. M., Schaubroeck, J. M., & McGill, G. A. (2010). Achievement goals, feedback, and task performance (Vol. 23, Issue 2). Human Performance Journal. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08959281003621687


Zimmerman, R. D., Mount, M. K. and Goff III, M. (2008), Multisource Feedback and Leaders' Goal Performance: Moderating effects of rating purpose, rater perspective, and performance dimension. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 16: 121–133. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2389.2008.00417.x

No comments:

Post a Comment