Saturday, October 17, 2015

A630.6.4.RB_DellElceCamila


A630.6.4.RB – 50 Reasons Not To Change The Tribes We Lead

            Today, if I hear someone presenting one of the fifty excuses not to change, it really aggravates me because I feel people are so closed-minded. Nevertheless, a few years ago, that would have probably been me as I used to have a big problem when it came to changes. I have to admit that is not all gone, as I continue to battle my fears to change but I really push hard to be optimistic about new challenges. The one saying I really dislike some colleagues using when change is approaching is, “that is not the way it is done, and you have to follow the same procedure.” When I am at work and I find myself with an old system that could potentially be changed for the best and others can benefit from it that is when I like to work harder to make changes. Needless to say, it is easier said than done. Usually, my coworkers, or employees who have worked in my organization for a longer period of time show very little patience and resist the idea of change. That makes me angry because I feel I should be the one fitting against it yet, I push forward to change.

            When growing up, as it was the usual, my father used to change me from schools very often. In order to make him stop, I would try to come out with any excuse to make him reason that his idea was wrong. In one opportunity, I remember clearly, I told him, “we’re doing all right as it is” (Watkins, 2011) there is really no reason why we should move again. I felt as if he was taking a huge part of me and living it behind. In the end, all his effort thought me good lessons and made me a better person. As it is mentioned by Donald R. Brown (2011), everyone goes through a series of phases when it comes to change and that is, “change introduced, forces identified, direct conflict, residual resistance, and change established” (p. 145).

            “Changing an organization involves modifying its existing systems, structure, and culture to some different standard or level of performance. The purpose of change is to increase the organization’s effectiveness or even to ensure its survival” (Brown, 2011, 146). Therefore, in order to overcome the thinking that create the negative responses to change, I usually concentrate on the positive aspects that this change will bring. In some occasions, change is necessary and leaves us no option but to take it. In that regard, I take change as a means to survive or as a means to get where I really want to be. Change in my opinion, should be taken as an opportunity to explore other horizons. Sometimes, we are too narrow sighted and we forget to check the “big picture.” Overthinking about the stresses of change can only bring frustrations, and sometimes is necessary to jump into the unknown without asking questions and follow you gut instinct.

            Do tribes drive change? Seth Godin had a really good point about tribes. He stated that people that have an idea are going to find something worth changing and assemble a tribe and spread the idea, which in turn spreads the movement. Change can only happen if the leader is able to convince a tribe that what is about to change is worth the challenge, and not merely forcing the tribe to make those changes. Therefore, when I am at work, I will always strive to provide people time to assimilate the changes instead of suddenly abruptly changing their routine.

References

Brown, D. R. (2011). An experiential approach to organization development (8th edition.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.

Watkins, D. (2011). 50 reasons not to change. Retrieved from

No comments:

Post a Comment