Friday, June 5, 2015

A521.1.4.RB_DellElceCamila

Describe a common story in your organization and discuss its implications on the organization. Does this story promote the goals and ideals of the organization? Does it help describe, "Who we are and what we stand for?" What is the story's impact on the culture of the organization?

A521.1.4.RB – Stories in your Organization

            I remember my first medical job on my first year in College as a medial receptionist. I had received the good news that Pediatric Associates, a medical facility with primary care physicians for kids, had hired me. At the time, I was only eighteen years old and had zero experience in the field. I had previously worked in sales and as a cashier, which gave me some advantage as far as customer service is. The next thing I know, I was on my way to training at their headquarters building. When I arrived, a couple of other hires were present waiting to see what the next step was. Subsequently, we were all directed to a large conference room with a TV surrounded by tables and chairs. From there on, my perspective on work changed drastically and forever.

            After all the greetings, the responsible trainer advised the entire group that we would be watching an inspiring video. We were advised that the company itself attempts to follow the same footsteps the video approaches. We were introduced to “Pike Place Fish Market,” a Seattle, Washington iconic seafood stall with entertainment. The video’s philosophy was about “engaging people and creating positive change in their workplace” (Yokoyama, 2015). The entire video demonstrated the choice we have when we work everyday and the choices we make. We all know fish market employees work hard; they work under tough conditions such as cold weather, they often have to be awake at early hours of the day, deal with smells, etc. Nevertheless, the Pike Place Fish Market wanted to impact not only their employees but also the world. They wanted to become famous to change how an organization can work in a healthy, happy, well-managed environment.

            Suddenly, Pediatric Associates demonstrated and promoted their goals and ideals as an organization just as Pike Place Fish Market did. John Yokoyama, the owner and founder of the fish market, wanted to be world famous, and what did he mean by that?  He meant “really being present with people and relating to them as human beings” (Yokoyama, 2015). The fish market corporation described who they were and where they stood by choosing to be different and providing outstanding service to people. Similarly, Pediatric Associates stimulated the idea of being different to our patients by having excellent customer service, by adding after hours care service at the same charge as an office visit, by opening on weekends, by playing as a team and not as an organization, by truly caring for our patients and their needs, by been flexible with employees, and by providing incentives to pursue our maximum capacity, to be “World Famous.”

            What is the story's impact on the culture of the organization? The story’s impact on the culture of the organization was tremendous and higher than they could even imagine. Not only did the company assured an incredible work environment for their employees, but also they changed the mindset of a lot of individuals. I took their knowledge, goals, and vision from there on to my succeeding jobs. Today, I carry high standards when it comes to dealing with people, especially while working. I believe this story made me realize the lack of customer service most organizations have. And my frustrations towards leaders’ ineffective skills to change bad habits, made me pursue a graduate program in leadership. My individual pursue constantly relies on trying to change the usual organizational standards and creating a stronger vision in organizations. I want to be “world famous!”

References

Yokoyama, J. (2015). How to become world famous - Pike Place Fish Market. Retrieved from https://www.pikeplacefish.com/about/world-famous/




No comments:

Post a Comment