Sunday, May 24, 2015

A520.9.5.RB_DellElceCamila

A520.9.5.RB - Power

    Are you comfortable developing sources of personal influence to gain power?

In order to make use of personal influence to gain power, we first must understand what power means. Whetten and Cameron (2011) define power as the “potential to influence behavior” (p. 286). In other words, power could essentially be a means to influence others but it could also be a negative way to attract others. For the most part, I believe I am comfortable developing sources of personal influence to gain power, when the gained power positively affects the organization. In order to feel comfortable, I must first feel a sense of achieving common goals for everyone and not myself only. Moreover, ethics and morals always guide my decisions and they both help me influence others. Power has no value if my personal influence is negative. 

    Do you embody the characteristics of likeable people depicted in Table 5.4 (p. 290)?

If there is a phrase that defines me, it definitely is leading by example. For the most part, I treat others and do things for others, as I would like to be treated. The characteristics of likeable people depicted in Table 5.4 (p. 290), mentioned engaging in social exchanges necessary to sustain a relationship and also, endure some sacrifices if the relationship should demand them. Although, I find myself not been the most outgoing person, generally I try to embody that characteristic because I know that is what my responsibility is in order to make it work. And that is where sacrifice takes place; by doing things you are not always confortable with.

    Are you able to use influence both up and down your organization considering the information in Table 5.5 (p. 293)

After reviewing table 5.5 from Whetten and Cameron (2011, p.291), I believe that I can influence others both up and down the organization. While working for a medical facility, I have the opportunity to mix my influence between co-workers and managers. Daily, I make sure I understand my boss whenever she feels the need to correct others or me. I try to put myself in her shoes, and I understand it is her duty to do so, and therefore, I do not take it personal or get offended. Moreover, maintaining a relationship with everyone implies accepting others’ perspectives and not attacking them when I do not agree with them. At the end of the end of the day, what matters is to find a middle ground where everyone can express his or her needs and styles. As far as assessing myself by knowing my strengths and weaknesses, I believe this will always be an ongoing learning process. I want to believe I know my flaws but I known there is always room for improvement.

References

Whetten, D., & Cameron, K. (2011). Developing Management Skills (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment