Sunday, May 10, 2015

A520.7.3.RB_DellElceCamila

A520.7.3.RB – Importance of Having a Coach and Mentor

            To be successful in your career, the need for mentor and/or coach is imperative. In my professional journey I have suffer the absence of good coaches or mentors in many occasions. While trying to accomplish a Masters degree in leadership to then continue my education as a doctor, I find that any mentor and coach will have a huge impact in my life. Today, working as a medical assistant for a podiatry facility, I find myself surrounded by good mentors. To begging with, the doctor I work for is not always an easy person to connect or talk to but he is always trying to help me understand why something works the way it works. One time, he spontaneously asked if I knew what an x-ray was? My answer was a book definition but he really wanted me to know the back scene of an x-ray. From that moment, I founded very fascinating to know that I have a mentor who care for my knowledge.

            Moreover, as I progressively learn, my manager also plays a big role when it comes to coaching. I have never met someone who cares so much for her team as she really is a team player. Every day she brings her best self to the office and is always asking if me or my coworkers if we are in need of anything. She takes the time to explain how to do a procedure or a task and would never get upset if you have further questions. She truly is an inspirational role model and leaders to others and myself and demonstrates her capacity through her patience and coaching. People in general do not realize the significant impact they have on others if they know how to be leaders. The reason I mentioned the importance of having a good mentor and coach is because they transmit confidence and it makes you feel invincible.

            Up to a couple of months ago, I doubted whether law was truly the path I wanted to take once I finished my master’s degree. I guess we all have a purpose in this world and the doctor I work for found me and asked me to work for him. When I started as a medical assistant, I was not sure what to expect but with time, I found my true calling. I now know, I want to go to Medical School and be a doctor. There is a reason why we call it a professional journey; you never know where it will take you. Needless to say, I am thankful for the good mentors and coaches I found along the way who helped me defined my future. I am lucky to have them and lucky to understand their significance, importance and impact in my life. “Mentoring is about developing people, with the objective of helping them achieve their full potential. Mentoring gives outstanding opportunity for mentors to facilitate a protégé’s growth by sharing what they have learned through years of practice” (Ilesanmi, 2011, pp. 169-170).

References


Ilesanmi, O. O. (2011). Workplace Mentoring: Learning and developmental approaches. A key issue in human resource management. Chapter 14. Retrieved from https://erau.blackboard.com/bbcswebdav/pid-16423860-dt-content-rid-42013603_4/institution/Worldwide_Online/MSLD_Courses/MSLD_520/pdf/Ilesanmi.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment