Saturday, February 27, 2016

A632.7.4.RB_DellElceCamila

A632.7.4.RB – Collaborative Decision Making

            In today’s business world, even the most productive groups of individuals’ experiences some type of conflict. Very seldom will you find collaboration without some degree of conflict; which is not necessarily a bad thing. There are times when leaders will make major decisions without assistance, but as a whole, this is rare. Leaders have to take into consideration how their decisions affect the stakeholders around them. However, when they do make decisions based only on their perspective, there is a propensity of having a myopic vision of the situation. When we have such a myopic view, we tend to do what is best for us, ignoring those around us.  

            As simple as this may sound, we must also keep in perspective that some problems are too complex for an individual to handle alone. A smart person will use collaboration as an opportunity to gain more insight on the conflict. Leaders need to understand the advantages of using collaboration. When individuals are seeking out collaboration, they understand that there is an increase in overall skills, knowledge, and information gained will strengthen and bring credibility to their role as a decision maker. The textbook provided an interesting statement of how we must look for a vessel that is large enough to hold and satisfy all the concerns that each person has in a conflict situation. However, as I have mentioned before, many times we must take the utilitarian approach when looking for a resolution.

            Personally, I feel the very nature of collaboration invites a clash of personality types, conceptual thinking processes, ethical differences, and disagreements on how to define what is the ultimate objective and how to achieve it. Collaboration when used correctly moves stakeholders away from the old traditional way of thinking; thereby, redefining decision-making power as control or domination towards a definition that invited shared authority. Leaders no longer operate in a vacuum; collaboration helps eliminate difficult barriers, increases opportunities for success, enriches the change process, and creates a shared vision for resolution. The bottom line is positive collaborative decision-making impacts many members of any organization; providing a unified guidance in a desired direction. Last but not least, by getting other stakeholders involved, it can help identify questions or concerns that may have been overlooked.

            The last time I had to make the decision to change jobs was one where various stakeholders played a key role in the decision. I was in a position where I was not happy and I got an offer to take a different position. Before I made up my mind, I consulted with my husband, parents, and several close friends and co-workers for insight. I considered the group stakeholders because ultimately my actions would either directly or indirectly impact them. When the new position was offered to me (although it wasn’t exactly where I wanted to be) I knew it would be better than where I was so I really just wanted to get insight from others to help me make a good decision. The position was offered then I discussed it with the various stakeholders. Next I analyzed the input I’d been given, considered what alternatives might exist, and thought about what I wanted to achieve by coming to the decision. After a great deal of reflection, I came to the decision to accept the job. As the Wharton text points out “once the values and probabilities are known, an answer is relatively straightforward” (Hoch & Kunreuther, 2005, p. 504). 

            Reflecting back on the decision I made, I know I involved the right people in the process. It was a good decision and one where I am sure I did the right thing. I cannot think of anyone else I did not include in the process that might have assisted in making the decision. Lessons learned that would aid in future decisions are: 1. Including other perspectives gives us a greater chance to see things more clearly which helps make better decisions; 2. Collaborating with others fosters trust and builds better relationships; and 3. Every decision we make helps us make better decisions in the future. In his book on resolution, Stewart Levine (2009), he hopes to teach us about “patience, inquiry, learning, and expanding our perspective” (p. 11). I now have a greater understanding of the role collaboration plays in the decision making process. My perspective has certainly been expanded by the information we have been exposed to throughout the semester. 

References

Hoch, S. J., & Kunreuther, H. C. (2005). Wharton on making decisions. (1st edition.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.

Levine, S. (2009). Getting to resolution: Turning conflict into resolution. (2nd edition). Williston, VT: Berrett-Koehler Publishers

No comments:

Post a Comment