Sunday, February 14, 2016

A632.5.5.RB_DellElceCamila

A632.5.5.RB – Protected Values in Decision Making

            Protected values are a part of most people’s decision-making processes. “People often draw a line in the sand to create values that are protected from trade-offs”. (Hoch & Kunreuther, 2005).  I am no different when it comes to having protected values. I value life, religion, and family when it comes to drawing the line in the sand, and making a decision. Following a baseline of protected values has challenges and can cause a variety of changes in priorities depending on the situation. “The unbending nature of PVs creates challenges for policy makers seeking to evaluate the trade-offs among values”. (Hoch & Kunreuther, 2005).  These values influence my decisions at all times, especially when it is a personal decision.

            My values are what they are, my values. I look at honoring my country, religion, and family with high regard. In most cases, I use these values to influence all of my personal decisions and some of my work related decisions. I emphasize work related decision because I must account for other people values in the decision-making process when it comes to company decisions.  For example, when I used to work at Dick’s Sporting Goods, I used to have a coworker who was a Muslim. Now, I am Catholic, but my coworker would request to have several breaks between working hours to do his prayers. Nevertheless, instead of saying no, I was able to find a way to help him and respect his religion. The idea would be to honor the individual’s beliefs and if work permits it, allow specific break periods to pray.

            Another value that I find some conflicts with is life. For example, in my protected value of life, I began questioning whether killing was acceptable in war, or the death penalty, or in precision strikes against terrorists. In my value of freedom, I began to question how far I am actually okay with “freedom” being given.  What about hate speech, or radical extremists, or the separation of church and state? And in equality I began to question my beliefs about discrimination based on gender.  What about women on the front lines? What about separating men and women’s sports? All of these questions made me aware of the fact that these values that I considered to be strong, protected values, may not be as strong as I thought. 

            The last protected value is my family. I live every day on earth for my family. This value seems to be gaining back strength in America compared to the past decades. We were founded on family and with so much separation and multiple family members working the simple family dinner tighter is disappearing. I think social media has helped to stay in contact with family members with pictures and activities. This is the new dinnertime.  I value family in my decision processes because most people can relate to having a family.

            Protect values have downsides also and can cause conflicts in the decision making process. “Values can be inconsistently expressed across context, which is why preferences do not always reflect deeply held values”. (Hoch & Kunreuther, 2005).  It is imperative to remember and understand protecting values occur by recognizing conflicts of interest, zero tolerance policies, and whom the values will affect. Try not to force personal values on others who have their own values. The purpose is to make a sound decision that is recognized by others as being sound. People may not always be happy with the decision, but the decision should be fair.

References


Hoch, S. J., & Kunreuther, H. C. (2005). Wharton on making decisions. (1st edition.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment