Saturday, April 18, 2015

A520.4.3.RB_DellElceCamila


A520.4.3.RB – Motivation Beyond Money

            No one can say money is not need it or is not a motivational factor that moves people into doing anything. Nevertheless, when it comes to working for an organization, the existence of additional motivators is a key factor to feel part of a community as Andy Mulholland (2011) explains in his video. Motivation can happen in many ways and not everyone is motivated in the same way, what works for an individual may not work for another. Whetten and Cameron (2011) described how coach Phil Jackson responded after winning the 7th NBA title when he was asked about the methods he used to motivate the team. He said, “I don’t motivate my players. You cannot motivate someone, all you can do is provide a motivating environment and the players will motivate themselves” (Whetten & Cameron, 2011, p. 326).

            In the same way, Andy Mulholland (2011) identified three important motivators that could increase the employees working attitude:

1.     Provide interesting work to employees: In doing so, anyone who works under the demands of other individual will find his or her-self out of monotony and repetitive work. Employees tend to show a better disposition if shown different tasks and if they are kept away from been bored. On a daily basis, my job has so many variants that I never find myself bored. On the contrary, having an interesting job motivates me to get up early in the morning and be happy to be there even when I feel really tired.

2.     Expand the skill set: When employers challenge employees to try new areas and put their skills into practice, the opportunity for knowledge expansion arises. It goes from “tactical issues to learning, developing, and understanding” (Mulholland, 2011). This area has a great impact in my job. Everyday, I am challenged to learn something new, to be better, to be faster, and I can say I am preparing myself to be a well-rounded professional.

3.     Recognize me: Acknowledging the effort of others goes beyond any award. When an employee gets recognized for his or her hard work, the self-steam of that individual increases. If recognition was not part been a motivator, then I would not be able to function properly at work. Is not about been needy but about knowing that hard work pays off. Thankfully, my manager is always there to support me and raise my morale when I think I am not doing well. She is always encouraging me to improve my skills and to emotionally reward me with positive recognition and feedback.

            Moreover, having a sense of motivation provokes curiosity to know what else is out there. As Andy Mulholland described, “Don’t just look, ask yourself what you really want to achieve?” (2011). Therefore, the additional motivators I find important and impact me are: feeling welcomed or part of an organization; achieving personal goals; learning from experienced dedicated individuals who love to share their knowledge; and job security. Definitely, money is not everything but what gets you through your daily responsibilities.     


References:

Mulholland, Andy (2011). The Three Things We Work For (Money Isn't One of Them) video presentation. Retrieved from http://library.books24x7.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/VideoViewer.aspx?bkid=43753

Whetten, D., & Cameron, K. (2011). Developing Management Skills (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education.



No comments:

Post a Comment