Sunday, April 5, 2015

A520.2.6.RB_DellElceCamila

A520.2.6.RB – Time Management

            While I am a very organized individual, I feel my time management skills are not there quite yet. When I am tired specially, I feel like my tiredness takes over and does not let me progress. I have to say I am a creature of habit and the more I repeat things, the more natural they come to me. Additionally, I believe the majority of the times, I am in a time stressor situation where time is not enough for the amount of work I encounter. Whetten and Cameron stated, “the presence of temporary time stressors may serve as motivators for getting work done, and some individuals accomplish much more when faced with an immediate deadline than when left to work at their own pace” (2011, p. 117). And for the most part, I feel that I have learnt to deal with my bad habits on time management and therefore, I tend to perform a lot better on last minute assignments or duties. Nevertheless, this kind of pressure seems to be a self-inflicted pain and it could be dangerous.
            Locus of control can be described as the belief of having control over events that may or may not affect us. The issues I present with time management have in a way increased my locus of control. The reason is because I know that it is within my power to control how much I can get done if only I organize myself correctly. In other words, the opportunity to management my time comes from know how to balance my lifestyle and its demands. I am the kind of individual who likes to be in control of everything and that is a way to release my stressors, when I am successful at doing it. Moreover, Whetten and Cameron (2011) identify that psychological resiliency is imperative to lower levels of stress. Maddi and Kobasa (1984) came out with three elements that characterized personalities with high demand on stress-resistant. One of them been hardiness. Hardiness results from “(1) feeling in control of one’s life, rather than powerless to shape external events; (2) feeling committed to and involved in what one is doing, rather than alienated from one’s work and other individuals; and (3) feeling challenged by new experiences rather than viewing change as a threat to security and comfort” (Whetten & Cameron, 2011, p. 139).
            If I were to modify three areas in which time management would reduce my stress, I would choose to be more organized with school assignments. In addition, I would dedicate time over the week to exercise and keep myself healthier. And lastly, I would try to improve my schedule by creating a routine to do my duties, including going to bed at a reasonable time everyday at the same time.
            In order to make the above improvements I would have to set up an action plan. I would first start by setting up daily short reasonable goals. I would make sure to evaluate my weekly schedule and delegate a couple of hours a day to assure all assignments will get done on a timely manner. Moreover, I would set up alarm in my calendar to alert me when is time to start and when is time to finish. Setting up calendars would provide me with the perfect structure I am in need of. In the same way, this organization of time would allowed me to dedicate more time to myself and household duties such as going to the gym, or for a run and also been able to take care of my house and cook. Furthermore, going to bed at a reasonable time everyday would help me gain energy for my long working hours and as a result all of these would be a way to eliminate stress to a point.
References:

Whetten, D., & Cameron, K. (2011). Developing Management Skills (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education.


No comments:

Post a Comment