Monday, February 9, 2015

A511.4.3.RB_DellElceCamila

A511.4.3.RB – Leadership Traits

            This week’s module readings have thought me about the importance of a leader’s traits and skills. How the success of a company or organization deeply depends on the effective use of traits and skills of a manager. When it comes to motivation, it implies a significant power for a leader. Someone who is able to motivate their own persona or others can create wonders. While evaluating what motivates managers, the theories encountered were self-confidence, personal integrity, narcissism, and achievement orientation. One way or another, this four specific traits motivate leaders in positive or negative ways. On the other hands, if managers want to motivate their subordinates, then energy level/stress tolerance, internal locus of control, emotional stability and maturity, personal integrity and need for affiliation are positive motivators.

            Managerial motivation reflects on what provokes an individual to make efforts in order to demonstrate superb skills. Consequently, managerial motivation can impact people in two ways, positive or negative. High energy level and stress tolerance from a leader results in trust. An effective leader or manager’s main goal should be creating a trustworthy organizational environment. In addition, if a leader is trustworthy, then he or she has earn the title of the self-confidence theory. If you do not believe in yourself, then nobody is will. Nevertheless, a measured level of confidence needs to be alert at all times. According to Yukl, “excessive self-confidence may make a leader overly optimistic about the likely success of a risky venture, and it may result in rash decisions and denial of evidence that a plan is flawed” (2013, p. 144).

            Another trait that stands out is internal locus of control. In other words, locus of control states how an individual truly believes his actions are a results of pure faith or chance. Although this trait alone does not bring effectiveness to an organization, this type of leaders “take more initiative than externals in discovering and solving problems” (Yukl, 2013, p. 144). In a similar way, emotional stability and maturity provides stability to the follower’s psychological power. Yukl (2003) delivers the term emotional maturity, “as a person who is emotionally mature is well adjusted and does not suffer from severe psychological disorders” (p. 145). Moreover, Gary Yukl idea of skills and effective leadership encompasses technical skills to be ahead when it comes to knowing the organization’s technology tools. Then, conceptual skills, which in general leaders make use and involve “good judgment, foresight, intuition, creativity, and the ability to find meaning and order in ambiguous, uncertain events” (Yukl, 2013, p. 153). Lastly, interpersonal skills are an effective way to carryout a leadership position. Interpersonal skills enhance the relation between followers and agents, since there is a clear and honest interest in motivating others, getting involved with followers, or understanding the attitudes and feelings of others.

            After analyzing my leadership skills, traits, and competencies, I believe I posses positive examples of a good leader but have a lot to improve. To begin, I have always consider myself an individual with the ability to manage my emotions. Emotional intelligence is a key factor for the success of a company or any place. Hence, I feel very strong when it comes to showing apathy out of respect to my followers. In relation, another trait I would like to say I am good at is learning ability. When you grow-up moving from one place to another, you learn to love the instability of changing friends, school, etc. Therefore, change in an organizational setting comes natural to me and does not make me upset in any way. Accordingly, I feel, as I am flexible and willing to accept those changes at work. Rosabeth Kanter (2011) stated, “there’s needs to be a flexible look at both ends of the spectrum in any situation.” 

            In relation to my strong skills, I believe they influence my value at work since cultural change at an organizational level is happening. I cannot take complete credit for the change, but I do know that I work hard to make sure what I do is always done with all the efforts I could have given, even if it is not perfect. The best feeling is to feel appreciated and valued for the hard work your put on and now my job is in the process of considering me for a management position. On the other hand, contingency theory and situational variables may assist the process of my job valuing my skills. Contingency theory describes, “how aspects of the leadership situation can alter a leader’s influence and effectiveness” (Yukl, 2013, p. 169). I believe I can make use of the Path-Goal Theory where followers or subordinates find satisfaction in any task assigned. Path-Goal theory is not complex but requires a motivator who wants to influence his or her followers into acquiring new approaches to old habits. If I make use of this theory, I may be able to start changing bad habits into better ones and still have the organization satisfied.

References:

Kanter, R. M. (2011). Zooming: How effective leaders adjust their focus [video file]. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saNj6B0Vasw&feature=youtu.be

Yukl, G. (2013). Leadership in organizations. (8th ed.) Dorling Kindersley / Pearson Education, Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment