Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A634.9.4.RB_DellElceCamila

A634.9.4.RB – A Reflection of Our Learning

            I believe one of the most important aspects of the course came packaged in the posting of reflective blogs. I realized that after reading the chapters with various opportunities to focus on a better understanding of the far-reaching impact of ethics on every day life, I found more benefit in assessing where I fit in the scheme of my career. I enjoyed the discussion boards where colleagues from just about every diverse angle of career provided a different and interesting point of view. Often, they brought in different interpretations, which helped me realize the importance of active listening. I had to really think through my initial post, and find references that supported my opinions, or concerns about the topic. It made me stop and think about what I really believe, and want to stand for in my life. I believe that reading the input from my colleagues was beneficial; however, I think that searching for additional references for the replies to others did not always encourage a discussion of the topics. I like the original post with references, but I would like to have more discussion among my colleagues for the replies. I thought that there was more urgency to find sources, rather than have a discussion after the initial post. Some of my best discussions were with people who wanted to review the ethics, or critical thinking on a specific conversation topic. The original sources were not always articles that supported my beliefs, but supported information on the topic. 

            Moreover, I liked the general assignments because they allowed first person, which gave more meaning to the assignment. I find that first person helps me to see how I fit into the viewpoint.  When I have to refer to myself as “the author”, or “this researcher”, it is easy to lose the value of what I have learned. I think that reflective blogs are more valuable as they personalize the information. Speaking in the third person takes away from the realism that should be part of the posting. I also found that most of the issues that fall under the broad life topic of ethics were also related to my career field. Each time the topic discussed seemed to be relevant for each person. For example, being a medical assistant and wanting to become a doctor some day, and the topic of physician-assisted suicide, had personal relevancy. Each of the discussions suggested a value in applying the discussions to both our personal, and professional lives. I appreciated that the selected topics were not restricted in their connection to many different careers. Initially, I feared that the discussions would center more on a philosophical exchange, but after the first couple discussion boards, I was pleasantly surprised that they addressed real world issues. 

            Another recent topic focused on Gun Control, which has become a focal debate for citizens, special interest groups, businesses, and politicians. There is no corner of the planet in which people are not affected by the attention given to gun control. The recent tragedies were very timely in showing that violence touches everyone. The discussions did not restrict the discussion to what was right, or wrong. I really appreciated the idea of asking others why they took the stand they did. I also agree with LaFollette (2007) regarding ethics not always been so clearly black and white to each individual. There is room for degrees of interpretation, and as we saw in gun control, and egoism, there can be restrictions that allow both sides of the debate to declare a win. The context of our choices became an apparent vital component in understanding ethics. 
                                                                                                        
            Overall, I am not sure that there is anything different that I would have done to enhance my learning experience. There was a substantial amount of work, so I did not find myself coming up for air very often. Bedley (n.d.) indicates that “value driven” people focus on core values, while focusing on others. I agree with his statement, but I think the first thing that must be accomplished is a determination of one’s own values. I think that after the reflective blogs as a requirement, most of the take-a-ways from the course will be achieved after the course is over. I believe that until we apply, or find a reason to apply, the process supported through the course, it may not be fully achieved. 

            I believe that the University has put together an excellent course. Nevertheless, each course seems to be slightly repetitive and sometimes it makes it harder to be challenged by an assignment. Additionally, I am very content with the school’s decision about not using the Brain software anymore. I have always been a person that prefers to direct my ideas into a list with a pen and paper. I have never been organized by visual cues. Therefore, the Brain never really helped me into organizing myself, but instead, made it really difficult to find my way around it. It really was a relief not having to work on concept maps anymore. The last recommendation I would make is that although I know this is a graduate level degree; I feel more attention should be focus on the fact that those taking this program online are particularly adults working full-time jobs. And therefore, the amount of load work came to be challenging at times. Needless to say, it was not impossible to commit and deliver the assignments if good time management was arranged. Overall, I really enjoyed this course, as I really got to learn about new topics and also myself, as I came across subjects I was not knowledgeable about and it took me some time to study and getting myself involved. Without a doubt, this class was slightly challenging but good enough to make it interesting.

References

Bedley, G. (n.d.). Value Driven online course, the core ethical values that define and ignite you. National Character Education Center. Retrieved from http://ethicsusa.org/seminars/value-driven-on-line-course-the-core-ethical-values-that-define-and-ignite-you/  


LaFollette, H. (2007). The practice of ethics. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment