Sunday, January 17, 2016

A632.1.4.RB_DellElceCamila

A632.1.4.RB – Multistage Decision-Making

            After reading the Wharton’s text about multistage decision-making models and optimal dynamic decision analysis, I started to reflect on my previous and present decision-making methods and how I could improve them. 

            According to the text, researches may solve multistage problems using mathematical formulas to present the known and unknown factors within a problem, while managers tend to rely on their intuition and past experiences to solve a problem (Hoch & Kunreuther, 2005).  I can attest that when making a decision on how to solve a multistage problem, I too will rely on my past experiences and my intuition in order to arrive at a solution to the problem. I would normally try to gather as much known information as possible, then sort the information on what I believe is important or relevant to the problem, then finalize my expected outcome and move forward with making the decision. I really do not like to devote too much time into just one problem. I rather fixed as soon as possible the best way I can. I have never been a strong mathematician, so solving problems utilizing mathematical formulas would not be my first choice to decision-making. I believe these kinds of formulas are useful in several instances; however, they are not my first alternative when making a decision. Therefore, the use of mathematical formulas would not impact my decision-making in any way.

            Robert J. Meyer and J. Wesley Hutchinson (2005) introduced the concept of forward planning in our decision-making. We are prone to be temporally myopic and often, severely so. Indeed, studies find that people generally can plan no further than just one-step beyond the current decision (Hoch & Kunreuther, 2005). As I considered my own decision-making abilities, based on the information available to me at the time of the problem, I may not be able to predict a positive future outcome or what affect my decision may have in the future. Sadly, my myopia has blinded me on many occasions, and the effects of my decisions were unforgiving.  And there have been other instances when everything worked out just fine! Nevertheless, I continue to seek the “mastering” of knowing when my decision will be right without affecting others.

            I would consider trying to apply optimal dynamic decision analysis to predict future impact of today's decision by stepping back from a problem to broaden my view of other options to solving the problem, ask for more experienced feedback on how to solve the problem and check my own biases to ensure the feedback I received is not blocking the solution to my problem. I consider that getting feedback from others has made helped me in becoming a better optimal dynamic decision-maker. Moreover, I believe that growth in this area is a continual process that comes with trial and error over a lifetime.

            Becoming a great decision-maker is not an easy task, as I have discovered with time. Some decisions seem easier to make than others.  Sometime the ramifications to making a bad decision can have ripple effects that can take years to fix.  No one is born with great decision-making skills; yet, learning the techniques offered by the textbook, provide some answers and guidelines to follow. I am committed to continue to pursue personal and professional growth from decision-making and look forward to many years of great decisions.

References

Hoch, S. J., & Kunreuther, H. C. (2005). Wharton on making decisions. (1st edition). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment