Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A500.7.3.RB_DellElceCamila

A500.7.3.RB – Quantitative Research Reflection

After reading about quantitative research methods, I was able to understand more about the principles, how to acquire data, how describe single variable, and how to analyze the correlation between two or more variables. Quantitative research is composed of collection, presentation, summary, and analysis of the statistical collection of data mainly focusing in providing answers to questions. The primary quantitative research’s commitment is to demonstrate basic, objective, structured regarding the research question measurement. On the other hand, when researchers use the qualitative method, they tend to be more involved and sometimes less objectives to the findings.

            Consequently, If I look back to my upbringing, I really never had an opportunity to deal with quantitative research at its fullest. There was always some research paper to turn in at the end of each semester or class that required some statistical data collection but I never did my own observations. Until, I started this semester with my Leadership Foundations in Research class. For this class, we were asked to create our own action research project and with that also create a survey. I was blown away with the amount of information I was trying to collect and how much time I dedicated to this assignment. Nevertheless, I learnt that I really enjoy working on action research reports. To obtain quantitative data, the survey I created was directed to individuals via emails, texts messages, social media, etc. I wanted to provide factual numerical correlations between the impediments of critical thinking such as fear of change and adaptation with organizational leadership. Once the results were available for evaluation, I discovered a whole new world full of statistics and meaningful information.

             The observations collected from the survey reflect a perfect example of quantitative research methods. I was able to obtain the information I needed through a survey without been too involved, while keeping my objectives on point. While completing the research, I made use of the research process: research idea, literature review, theoretical formulation of the research problem, empirical research questions (operationalization), research design (planning), data collection, data analysis, answering the empirical research questions, theoretical interpretation of the results, comparison with earlier research, and conclusions. Moreover, I also acknowledged the importance of learning how to interpret quantitative data as is not easy to translate statistical data into transcriptional data. As with anything, quantitative research comes with strengths and weaknesses. In my research I encounter the challenge of having to disqualify one of my own hypothesis but it did not cause major problems.
            All in all, the main elements from this quantitative research methods, has been well utilized for this course. I have been able to implement my learning skills in the assignment and hopefully for future assignments. Furthermore, it can be concluded that quantitative research is a key factor to obtaining objective and noninvasive sample data. And I was able to infer the research process Mamia (2012) provides to the one author Nosich G. (2012) talks about in his book, learning to think thing through as he provides eight elements or also call alternatives. These alternatives encompass: purpose, question at issue, assumptions, implications and consequences, information concepts, conclusions/interpretation, and point of view.
           


Nosich, G. M. (2012). Learning to think things through: A guide to critical thinking across the curriculum (4th edition). Boston, MA: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment