Saturday, November 8, 2014

A500.3.4.RB_DellElceCamila

A500.3.4.RB – Explore the Hunt Library

            Today is the first time I make use of the Hunt Library from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University Worldwide Campus. As usual, I have a tendency to reject change. And with that preconception, I did not like the idea of having to use a new tool to make my research. My expectations were completely different from what I witness. I expected to have a non-friendly website, where you cannot find anything. Most often than not, I find links that could be useful if only they were more organized. With that in mind, I expected the worse but to my surprise it was the opposite.

            The first thing I tried was searching about “leaders of today,” because it relates to the courses I am taking for my Master’s Degree in Leadership. As soon as I pressed enter, it took me to a new tab and I could find a variety of related articles. Right there and then, I was able to compare it to a normal Google search, and it was fascinating to see how up to date the articles were. When you do a search in Google, it takes so much time to find what you actually need since it provides so many options. Most of those options are very outdated and not from good sources. It is a peace of mind to know that the Hunt Library provides you with good quality, reliable information. In addition, this online tool provides a “Quicklinks” tabs with options such as Ask a librarian, A-Z journal list, Department/Staff, Electronic Course Reserves, Hours/Location, Library Catalog, NTSB Accident Reports, Renew Books, and Research Database.

            Furthermore, when you have a particular subject you are looking for, you have the option to “refine your search.” This preference is such a great invention because it saves you time. Although, Google offers a similar option it does not compare in any way. In Google, you can refine your search up to a certain level, such as language or the number of results per page. Therefore, it is very time-consuming and you end up spending twice the time you should. Another problem faced with Google is how reliable are their sources? It is hard to tell. I have used Google in the past and never had issues because I would always make sure the information I got came from a reliable source or scholarly publication. But it wasn’t always easy.

            On the other hand, Hunt Library offers the language you need the information on, the publication date, the subject terms, the content type, and more. Being an online student and having this resources offered by the school and so easily accessible, makes a whole world of a difference. When time is at the essence and you have so many deadlines and responsibilities to meet, the Hunt Library gives you flexibility. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be utilizing this Embry Riddle Worldwide library from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment